Saturday, April 19, 2008

Nearly a year.



I don't plan to make a habit of posting fanart here (I have my deviantART account, after all), but thought I'd talk a bit about these two. I did the one on the left today, taking a few hours to redraw and color a sketch I did at work (ahaha!) a few days ago; the one on the right was done over a few days in May of last year.

I'm still uncomfortable drawing some areas of the body - Jou's and Yuugi's shoulders, for example - but I've definitely improved at recognizing my own mistakes. I don't think I'd be able to draw heads of such ridiculous misproportion now without noticing. (Unless I have again. Hmm.)

Clearly, I need to continue (and redouble, even) my efforts with hands and backgrounds (was pretty lazy on both counts). Also, Yuug's arms are a bit twiggy.


I've always tried to experiment with lighting. You can see it in last year's, with the window shades at the bottom of the image (my favorite part), but I think I've moved in a more dramatic direction. My shadows this year are slightly more extreme! Huzzah!

Overall, though, I'm pretty happy. Try, try, and try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment